Mastering Pain

Sept 15, 2024. 0455 hrs 

A right amount of sadness, joy, long, and hope will be a good mixture to turn something into art : drama play, poem, paintings, and ofcourse to me, the romance to start writing. I believed most of drama play are written and played basically from sorrow. 

Back in 2006, I registered myself to be in drama class and joined drama club. That’s the place a learn the word “solemn silent” and “don’t do anything stupid” from Mr. O’Malley, an Irish teacher, so proud of his origin. 

 We would have this face muscle exercise. He said, Smile! Mourn! Excited! Sad! Cry! And many kinds of emotion and we made grimace of the according emotion. 

The other day we would have an improv exercise. We would read a cue card, and imitates movement, and the student has to guess correctly exactly by reading our movement and gesture. I recall I think his name is , aduh lupa, tall guy, good in any sports, he did this viral NSYNC movement of bye bye bye , some other students with their own cue card, and I got cue card of “make out” and what I did : going out from the class. And mr. o’malley said, that’s not it. I didn’t know what it means at the time, I learned later on wkwk. 

 They have this theatrical mask as the symbol of all drama class, the comedy and tragedy.



Characterize the ability to transform into an whole new identity. And the process to change to an entirely different person was a painful process because its hard. It’s a long and slow process for me at first, to memorize words I didn’t recognize and I need to make a certain gesture to mimic that particular scenario, to understand meaning that implies in certain line. 

 I was playing as Kaa, the snake in jungle book I think it was a fall season play. I need to make my face wanting to eat Mowgli, the human cub, but I need to show some resistance to respect the jungle’s law. What the hell? Its so absurd. Let me see if I have a picture about my play in my old facebook.
And after we rehearsed over and over again, We remember each other’s line by heart. I would remember Baloo’s (the wise bear) line, Hyena’s (the most irritative one) line, Baghira’s (the nice tiger), shere khan's (the bad tiger) and we would spent the entire 2 months after school practicing the play. 

After certain amount of exercise, you will encounter pain and hardship professionally. It is still hard but you receive the pain as a part of your regular exercise. 

In our everyday life, this drama exercise of grimace and gesture continues. Then we face wide variety of pain. (based on the random adam grants podcast, is it gabor mate with adam grant or simon sinek? Not sure) we will receive two kinds of pain; the pain of of press our ego in order to fit the society or the pain of becoming a solitary. one of my common combat in pain is: hospital meeting. I entered the room knowing some faces I respect some faces i dont recall, and I didn’t have the energy to ad lib. So I decided to read a hardcopy book, being a solitary. I felt heavy and painful feeling, the feeling of I don’t belong to this area. When I pulled my phone out like other people do, copying the society, and read Sand and Foam in my pdf I felt more at ease. i compromised 2 sides for my own peace. 

Imagine if you decide to only master one kind of pain. You end up as a people pleaser (which to me, it sucks) and a solo fighter (which to me, frightening).

No comments:

Post a Comment